Thursday, July 10, 2008

Re: Why won't people use clouds: The grey part of the silver lining

Marc,

I agree there are a class of problems where it isn't the data that is
critical but the analysis. That would cover your usage, that of most
physic experiments, protein folding etc. I think what it comes down to
is how easy it is to extract important value from the data.

Chuck Wegrzyn


Marc Evans wrote:
> I could debate how "slight" the volume of data is that I could put in
> the cloud without concern. For example, I collect petabytes worth of
> SPAM and malware on the Internet. It makes a lot of sense for me to
> leave it in-the-cloud in the RAW form. The data that I derive from that
> RAW collection is what has value to me, and requires somewhat more
> careful security considerations.
>
> Likewise, I believe the many companies that crawl the web collecting
> copies of sites for a variety of uses could store that raw data in the
> cloud with little/no risk. Like myself, their derived data resulting
> from whatever analysis/computations they perform is what they may need
> to protect.
>
> I will grant you that the examples above are not what I believe that you
> or most others discussing data security in the cloud are pondering. It
> does however serve as examples of data that is likely to be in the cloud
> today.
>
> - Marc

No comments: