Thursday, July 10, 2008

Re: Why won't people use clouds: The grey part of the silver lining

I could debate how "slight" the volume of data is that I could put in
the cloud without concern. For example, I collect petabytes worth of
SPAM and malware on the Internet. It makes a lot of sense for me to
leave it in-the-cloud in the RAW form. The data that I derive from that
RAW collection is what has value to me, and requires somewhat more
careful security considerations.

Likewise, I believe the many companies that crawl the web collecting
copies of sites for a variety of uses could store that raw data in the
cloud with little/no risk. Like myself, their derived data resulting
from whatever analysis/computations they perform is what they may need
to protect.

I will grant you that the examples above are not what I believe that you
or most others discussing data security in the cloud are pondering. It
does however serve as examples of data that is likely to be in the cloud
today.

- Marc

No comments: